The Governing Council of Federal University Gusau (FUGUS) hereby announces that the position of Vice-Chancellor of the University will be vacant by February, 2021. In accordance with the Universities (Miscellaneous provisions) Act 1993 as amended, the Council invites interested, qualified and distinguished academics with experience in University teaching and administration of not less than (15) years to submit applications in line with the specifications outlined below:
The Federal university Gusau is a conventional University established in January, 2013 and commenced academic progarammes in the 2014/2015 academic session. It currently has four Faculties of Education, Humanities, Management and Social Sciences and Science, while Faculties of Agriculture, Engineering and Pharmaceutical Sciences are billed to commence soon along with the School of Post-graduates Studies.
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and the academic head of the University. He is the ex-officio member of Council, Chairman of Senate and Congregation. He/ She is to promote high standard of academic excellence in research, teaching and learning, regulate students’ admission, welfare and discipline, and responsible to council for the day- to day management of the human, financial and material resources of the University.
Qualities and Qualifications
The candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor, FUGUS must possess good university education from recognised university; must be a person of high integrity and a distinguished scholar with outstanding academic and administrative track-record; as well as a consummate manager of human and material resources. In addition, the candidate:
- Must have spent not less than fifteen (15) years in a recognised University system, with at least ten (10) years experience as Professor with the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership;
- Should have a good understanding of the vision and mission of FUGUS;
- Be able to attract research grants and complimentary funds from local and international agencies, and uplift the academic status of the University.
- Possess personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of the University’s strategic plan.
- demonstrate interpersonal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between and among staff, students and members of the University and host communities as well as stakeholders.
- have demonstrable abilities to establish and maintain partnerships with local, international, government and non-governmental agencies and organizations;
- be an individual who, judging from his/her track-record, is likely to command the respect as well as the loyalty of members of staff and University community;
- be able to demonstrate the ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff (teaching and non-teaching);
- be able to exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University.
- Have excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Should be in position to ensure the enforcement of the University’s laws and regulations.
- Be information and technology proficient and be committed to the development of ICT in the University.
- Be of excellent physical and mental health.
- Not more than 65 years old by 10th February, 2021 on assumption of duty.
Tenure and Conditions of Service
The prospective Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single, non-renewable term of five (5) years. The remuneration and conditions of service for the post shall be as applicable in Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Federal Government and the Governing Council.
- Candidates must possess NYSC discharge certificate, exemption certificate or certificate of exclusion where applicable;
- Other conditions of service applicable to the position are as approved and reviewed by the Governing Council from time to time;
- Computer literacy is essential;
- Candidates should ask three referees to individually send, under confidential cover, referee reports to the Registrar to be received latest by the closing date of receipt of applications;
- Candidates must attach evidence of possession of national identification number (in line with the requirements of the National Identification Number Regulations, 2017);
- Candidates’ statements of vision and hope for the University, not more than a page, should be attached to their applications.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Applicants are required to submit thirty (30) sets of typed applications, photocopies of their credentials, and curriculum vitae (CV). The CV must contain the following information:
- Full Name (in capital letters)
- Post applied for
- Date of birth
- Place of Birth
- State of origin
- L.G.A. of origin
- Nationality (for non-Nigerian)
- Permanent home address
- Current postal address
- Functional email address
- GSM number
- Marital status
- Number of children with dates
- Institutions attended with dates
- Qualifications with dates
- Professional qualification with dates
- General and specific working experience, giving duration, post held and salary
- Details of research work and publications (attached)
- Details of administrative experience and community services with details of status and dates
- Present employment, rank, grade level and step, salary structure and name and address of the employer.
- Extra-curricular activities
- Any other relevant information
- Names and addresses of three referees, one of whom must be your current HOD/Dean, Vice-Chancellor/Chairman Governing Council, who shall send their reports directly to the Registrar under confidential cover.
- All applications must be addressed and sent to:
Federal University Gusau,
All applications must reach the Registrar not later than six (6) weeks from date of the publication of this advertisement. It should be noted that only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.
Yakubu A. Anivbassa